After A Break Up
- Reflect. What do you think caused the break up? What events led up to the downfall of the relationship? Ask yourself about what worked and what did not work.
- Rebuild. Do not blame anyone, especially yourself. Instead, treat
yourself to some of your favorite things. Keep reminding yourself that you are worth loving, regardless of what happened. Practice self-care and begin to rebuild your self-esteem.
- Reconcile. Admit your mistakes and things that you could have done
better. Remember these so you don’t repeat them. Now forgive yourself.
- Repeat. This won’t be your last break up. Repeat until healed.
Things You Can Do To Get Over A Break Up:
- Delete 95% of their pictures from your phone! Take down the cute photo booth pictures, the kissy photos, the drawing they did for you, the picture they gave you – put it all away into a box and hide it (until you’re ready to look again). Looking at their picture 10 times a day will not make things easier. “Out of sight, Out of mind.”
- Write a letter to them about how you feel about them, the relationship, the break up, or an incident that happened between you two. Then burn it. Safely.
- Get rid of all the stuff they gave you, but keep the stuff you really liked. Reminders of them make it hard to let go of what you two shared.
- Make a list of all the things you liked about the relationship, and make another list of all the things you did not like in the relationship.
- Treat Yo’Self! – get your hair done, get your nails done, go shopping, go on a long hike, go to the movies, buy yourself your favorite food, buy a new book/magazine/album.
- Spend time alone. Date yourself. Get to know yourself. Find out who you are (again) now that you are single.